The Spanish Taxes

Buying or selling new or resale property in Spain brings a few financial consequences if none of you is resident in Spain. Below follows a short enumeration of the most important Spanish taxes and levies. We advise you to contact a (Spanish) accountant office for the exact calculation of your personal situation.

Income tax (=Impuesto sobre la renta de las personas físicas)

Valid for people who do not live in Spain and who do not have a stay-permit .Foreign homeowners are charged by the Spanish government with a so called ‚rent tax'. Spanish citizens do not pay this tax. You are charged a tax of 24% over 1,1% of the official value (land register) of your property when the house is not offered for rent. When you do so, you pay 20% over this income. For the period the house was not rented out you pay a proportional rent tax.


Property tax (=Impuesto sobre bienes inmuebles)

The owner of the property pays between 0.3% and 0.6% property tax. The percentages differ from county to county. Both residents and non-residents pay property tax.

Property tax - extra (=Impuesto extraordinario sobre el patrimonio)

Property tax for non residents in Spain. For foreigners without a stay-permit the property tax is not free of tax. For every euro you pay tax for your property. The percentage is progressive from 0,2% up to 0,5%.

Tax on the increase property value (=Plusvalia)

When you sell your house and land you always pay tax to the community; notwithstanding the period you have been the owner of the property.

Capital gains tax  (=Impuesto sobre incremento de patrimonio de la venta de un bien inmueble)

A Spanish citizen presumably will not pay tax for his permanent house ownership, when this profit is re-invested in buying a new house. When the last property was cheaper, the tax for the profit gained will be 18%, excluding specific deductions. When a Spanish citizen sells his holiday house with a profit, he has to pay between 20% and 24% taxes, excluding specific deductions, even when this profit is re-invested in a new holiday house. Someone not registered in Spain also has to pay 20% tax of the profit. The notary will keep 3% of the amount and pay it directly to the Spanish government as a kind of pre-tax. However, now the buyer is responsible for paying this tax. When he doesn't do so, he will be responsible in case the house-seller is ‚gone' and left the country.

Transfer tax  (=Impuesto de Transmisiones Patrimoniales)

When you buy the house from a private person, you pay 8% of the official value. When you buy the house from a professional land broker, you pay the Spanish VAT.


When you buy a piece of land from a professional land broker you pay 21% VAT; from a private person you pay 10%. When you buy a new house and a piece of land from a professional land broker you only pay 10%. When you first buy the land you pay 21% VAT, even when you build a house on it later. The tax for the new house is 10% VAT. When you build a garage or a swimming pool together with the house, you also pay 10%. When you build a garage or a swimming pool at an existing house you pay 21% VAT. For small reconstructions (not larger then 25% of the total value) you pay 21%.

Construction tax (=Impuesto sobre construcciones, instalaciones y obras)

To appy for a building permit you will be charged at about 2,5% of the value of your property. This value is calculated by the architect. The architect often includes the percentage in his fee and will pay this tax for you.

FaLang translation system by Faboba